Monday, October 25, 2010

Caroline's Stocking - DONE!

It took about twice as long as I had planned, but the stitching on Caroline's stocking is finally done!  Yeah!

It took lots of different fibers: Silk and Ivory, Vineyard Silk, Splendor, Silk Lame', Kreinik metallics, Neon Rays +, Flair, Frosty Rays, Appleton crewel wool, Paternayan wool, Fancy Fur, Santa's Beard and Suit, overdyed floss, cotton floss, Watercolours and a few others.

I spent a lot of time on the faces, the eyes were particularly challenging.  Santa's beard is a simple packed outline.  His coat is a staircase variation.  My favorite is the dotted Swiss on the lavender dress.  Santa's bag is something called Virginia's stitch.  The cradle and angel's dress are burden stitches.  When doing the big lavender gift box, I misread the stitch diagram for offset Scotch and ended up with something I like--I just don't know what it is.  The only frequently used stitch that wasn't fun was the "frog" stitch.

4 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful and looks like it was a lot of fun to work. I'm sure it will be enjoyed each holiday for many Christmases to come.

Danni Pravikoff said...

First blog I've ever been on, Jane, but couldn't resist telling you how wonderful the stocking is. Hope to see you soon as I'm visiting Suzy in December.

Danni Pravikoff
Glendale, CA

OliveDaisy said...

Your stocking is beautiful!!!
I just posted on my blog the needlepoint stocking I have made for my family! They were so fun to make!!!

http://olivesanddaisies.blogspot.com/2010/12/needlepoint-christmas-stockings.html

Unknown said...

What a FABULOUS stocking. Really wonderful. Love so many aspects of it. What stitch and thread did you use for the white fur on Santa's suit. It is spectacular!!!